Sunday, April 7, 2013

Rainy Weekend

Saturday - Last weekend, Easter weekend, was sunny.  Four glorious days of non stop sun.  I got a fair bit done, and made plans to do even more this weekend.  This weekend, however, is not even close to as nice.  I'm sitting on the couch, still in my housecoat, watching rain and thinking about the asparagus bed I wanted to weed and fence off from the dogs, and about the heathers and small shrubs waiting to planted along the grassy strip  along my driveway as part of my quest to get out of mowing. *sigh*

Fast forward to Sunday, and look, true to it's name, it's sunny!  I just got in from weeding my asparagus, and it's warm enough I'm going to change out of my hoodie and into a t-shirt with my shorts before heading back out there.  While weeding the asparagus, I noticed the first sprouts of my nemesis, bindweed.  For those of you who don't know bindweed, it's worse than any weeds you have.  I promise. I'll get more into bindweed in another post.  This is just a quick update between jobs.  If the weather had stayed rainy, you might have gotten more.

My asparagus is coming along beautifully this year, and I even ate a tiny tip I broke off by accident.  Delicious!  I planted the asparagus 2 years ago when I first bought the house, and this will be the first year there is any to eat.  The poor stuff got off to a rather rough start.  I put the offer in on my house, bought some locally grown asparagus crowns at a Seedy Sunday, and then waited 2 agonizing weeks to take possession of my new home.  As luck would have it, between horrible weather and trying to get carpets up, floors refinished, painting done, and moved in, the asparagus got put on hold til it was in a rather sorry state.  Limp and dry, I figured I'd plant it, let it act as compost, and then I could replant next year.

That first year there were only a few very skinny stalks, but nearly every crown made it!  Last year was better, but the dogs kept running through the bed, breaking off fragile stalks.  This year, finally, I'll get some!  I can't wait!  I figure another couple of days and there will be enough for 3 for dinner.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have made the best of this chilly spring Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vanessa, it was not that cold! I was too hot in my hoodie, kept going to take it off, then remembering I didn't have a t-shirt on under it...

      Delete