Monday, May 27, 2013

Potting up

I've started potting up the tomatoes for this year - 26 so far, but I have lots of seedlings and lots of pots, so there will be a fair number more to follow.  Of the 20 varieties Mom started for me, one seems to have vanished entirely, and there's only one or 2 of a few kinds.  I have a friend with a few sorts that I don't have, and we're planning to trade a few plants.

My list for this year is:


  1. Petit Moineau
  2. Black Cherry
  3. Sweet One Millon
  4. Gold Nugget
  5. Sungold
  6. Wild Cherry
  7. Ildi
  8. Micro Tom
  9. Hawaiian Currant (this is the one that I don't have any of)
  10. Siletz
  11. Super Marmande
  12. Keeskerneti (I got the seeds for this one at a seed exchange, and cannot find it online, so no idea what it is like)
  13. Big Rainbow
  14. Mahlor Roth's Orange Brandywine
  15. Roma
  16. Principe Borghese
  17. Silvery Fir Tree
  18. Amish Paste
  19. Stupice
  20. Costoluto Fiorentino
Big Rainbow and Petit Moineau are favourites from previous years, and this year I plan to save my own seed from them and other favourites.  The ones I don't like as well, I'll keep planting the seed I have til it is gone, but won't save any myself.  I'd like to eventually get half a dozen or so favourites that I'll grow every year, and still keep trying a couple of new sorts each year.  
 
The new varieties I'm trying this year are black cherry, siletz, super marmande, Mahlor Roth's orange brandywine, and costoluto fiorentino. And the hawaiian currant, that I'm hoping to get a seedling for from my tomato growing friend.  

Beyond the tomatoes, I have peas up, setting flowers already, mache ready to harvest, and we've already been eating radishes and pac choi.  Nothing else is ready to eat yet, but my herbs are taking off like mad.  I'll definately be drying or freezing lots, depending on the type, and adding them fresh to anything I can!

1 comment: